THE GOLDEN FRYING RECIPE
- Use/start with a clean well maintained fryer.
- Choose a good quality frying oil.
- The correct temperature settings should be selected: 160-175°C. Check the oil temperature before deep-frying.
- The ratio of the food to frying oil or fat should ideally not exceed 1:10. . Never fill basket more than ½ full.
- Frozen foods should be fried from frozen for optimal quality
- Handle fries with care.
- Use first in first out. Respect & check storage conditions & shelf life.
- Fill & shake basket besides fryer, so no crumb & ice drop directly into the hot oil.
- Avoid adding salt or spices before or during deep-frying
- If possible, use separate deep-fryers for fish, potato products,… This prevents the mutual flavour influence and avoids possible cross contamination with allergens (fish⇨potato).
- Keep the temperature between 160 and 175°C. Temperatures higher than 175 °C lead to a faster oil or fat deterioration and accelerate the acrylamide formation within starch containing foods. Temperatures lower than 160 °C increase the fat uptake of the product due to longer cooking time.
- Shake product after approximately 30 seconds
- Always cook until a golden yellow colour
- Do not overcook (always avoid frying until colour gets brown / too dark)
- Always follow the cooking instructions, provided on the packaging by the manufacturer
- When deep-frying smaller quantities than indicated on pack, reduce the cooking time
- Do not overfill the frying basket, fill your basket only halfway
- Shake & drain immediately after frying for about 10 seconds over the fryer to remove excess oil.
- Do not hold fries over the hot oil (these get limp quite fast)
- Put the fried product on absorbing paper before serving
- Salt if required & serve immediately. Keep holding times to a minimum.
- Do not re-fry reconstituted product for a second time.
- Skim off the oil (remove floating particles) between frying.
- Filter the oil and clean the fryer after using it
- Don’t heat the frying oil longer than needed. Cover the oil from light whenever possible
- Check the oil for degradation using a suitable indicator to indicate degree of oxidation. Completely refresh the frying oil after using it maximum 10 times or follow the advice on the pack